Local organisations are being encouraged to apply to share in more than $1.8 million in funding available over the next year to commemorate the Anzac Centenary, Chris Whiting said.
Mr Whiting said the Queensland Government was committed to preserving the Anzac legacy for future generations, with groups in the area able to apply for grants of up to $80,000 to commemorate the role played by Queenslanders in the First World War.
“The Queensland Government is supporting a range of initiatives to commemorate the Anzac Centenary, including the Spirit of Service and Lasting Legacies grant programs,” Chris Whiting said.
“These grant programs are open to local groups and organisations, with RSL’s, parents and friends associations, sporting clubs and not for profits groups all welcome to apply.
“It’s important to honour the legacy of our Anzacs and these grants help our local communities to keep the memory of the brave men and women who served in the First World War alive,” he said.
The Spirit of Service grants program provides funding for projects up to $20,000, while the Lasting Legacies grants program provides funding between $20,001 and $80 000.
Chris whiting said there were numerous ways to honour the service and sacrifice of Queenslanders through these grant programs, from traditional approaches to new and engaging projects.
“Previous grants have been awarded for the display of military memorabilia, the development of phone apps, books, guided tours and even plays,” he said.
“With the latest rounds of the Spirit of Service and Lasting Legacies grant programs now open, I encourage local groups and organisations to apply.”
The current round of Lasting Legacies grants program closes 20 August 2017, and the current round of Spirit of Service applications will close on 15 October 2017.
For more information or to start an application, visit www.qld.gov.au/anzac100 or call 3003 9170.
Chris Whiting MP, Member for Murrumba says local families should get ready to take advantage of extra vouchers made available by the Palaszczuk government to help young people join sports or recreation clubs.
Mr Whiting said Treasurer and Minister for Sport, Curtis Pitt, had made an extra $750,000 available to help more than 5,000 Queensland children kick-start their involvement in organised sport through Round 9 of the popular Get Started vouchers program.
“The program provides vouchers that can be used to help meet the cost of club membership for young people interested in sporting activities,” Mr Whiting said.
“The vouchers are designed for families who might otherwise not be able to afford the cost of a sports or recreational club fees.
“High demand for the $150 vouchers in the current Round 9 of the Get Started program led to the initial allocation of $4.2 million worth of vouchers being exhausted very soon after the online applications opened last week.
“More than 800 vouchers were issued to families in the Murrumba electorate but I know there is demand for more.
“So it is good news that Curtis Pitt has allocated an additional $750,000 in vouchers that will be available online from 9.15 am on Thursday.
“The extra funds should help as many as 5,000 more children across Queensland to get involved in their favourite sport.
“I urge anyone who wants a voucher to act quickly on Thursday morning by visiting www.npsr.qld.gov.au/getinthegame.
“The vouchers are issued on a ‘first come, first served’ basis, and demand is always high, so you need to be quick,” Mr Whiting said.
Design work is underway on $5.75 million worth of upgrades and improvements to Anzac Avenue in Rothwell and Kippa-Ring.
Yvette D’Ath MP, State Member for Redcliffe and Chris Whiting MP, State Member for Murrumba have welcomed the news of the upgrade which will see dedicated cycle lanes added to this section of Anzac Avenue.
“The works will include the asphalt resurfacing of all six lanes of Anzac Ave between Gynther Rd and Klinger Rd,” said Ms D’Ath
“Design work on this project is currently underway. Consultation with stakeholders will commence once these plans are finalised.” Ms D’Ath said.
“I welcome the addition of almost 3km of cycle lanes to the network in the Moreton Bay region. These new lanes, and the Shared Pathway on the Moreton Bay Rail Link will provide choice for local and visiting cyclists,” Mr Whiting said
“As a cyclist myself I am pleased to see these much anticipated lanes added to Anzac Avenue, providing another active transport option for people across the region to get out and active.”
“This is the first upgrade of the road surface on Anzac Ave in almost a decade, and is part of the Palaszczuk Government’s commitment to improving Queensland’s infrastructure.” Mr Whiting said.
Ms D’Ath and Mr Whiting said that they look forward to the upgrade works commencing in early 2017.
Queensland Day is an annual celebration of Queensland’s official separation from New South Wales on 6 June 1859. It provides an opportunity for Queenslanders to come together to celebrate the proud histories and traditions that make our State so special.
Events have recently been held in communities across the State to commemorate Queensland Day, as part of the 2016 Queensland Week celebrations. Communities, workplaces, families and friends celebrated all things Queensland by hosting their own Queensland-themed events or promotions.
I am pleased to advise that the Queensland Day Sponsorship Program is now open for events held in 2017.
Sponsorship funding is available for a limited number of events or initiatives to be held around 6 June 2017 that will commemorate Queensland’s people, places, culture and achievements and encourage community participation. These events or initiatives must also present innovative practices and/or creative ideas that will inspire Queenslanders to get involved.
For more information, or to download the 2017 sponsorship program guidelines, visit the Queensland Week website at www.qld.gov.au/queenslandweek. Applications close on Friday 9 September 2016.
Queensland Day provides a unique opportunity to celebrate our community spirit and state pride.
I am calling on tradies and home handymen in North Lakes to drop off their old power tool batteries at their local hardware stores to be recycled.
A 12 month battery recycling trail is ending on 30 June. This trial has seen a remarkable 1800 kilograms (or 3077 batteries) of batteries collected.
We want locals to mark World Environment Day next week by disposing of old power tool batteries in a way that is friendly to the environment. About 500 kilograms have so far been returned by Qld householders and tradies to the 19 participating tool retailers since the program launched last year. We have also cleared a 5-year stockpile of 1300 kilograms of power tool batteries from the Trade Tools service centre that would have otherwise ended up in landfill.
World Environment Day (WED) helps raise global awareness to take positive environmental action to protect nature and the planet Earth. It will be a fantastic result if we can crack the two tonne mark in the final month of the pilot.
So I urge North Lakes residents to continue taking their old batteries into a Bunnings, Masters or Trade Tools store.
Seniors in Murrumba will be better protected against elder abuse, as the Palaszczuk Government takes action to target the growing issue in Queensland.
The Palaszczuk Government launched the ‘There’s no excuse for elder abuse’ campaign at Parliament House, to create awareness around the unacceptable behaviour and ways it could be addressed.
All too often, older people are becoming vulnerable to elder abuse, and our research shows in many cases this abuse has been committed by a family member. Sadly, older people can be vulnerable to abuse, with more than 1350 new elder abuse notifications in Queensland in 2015 – up from around 1280 in the previous year. This increase in reported cases shows that more people are coming forward, but we know many incidents still go unreported.
That is why we have stepped up the fight against elder abuse and I am encouraging family members, friends, and neighbours in the Murrumba community to come forward.
Seniors Minister Coralee O’Rourke said the most common forms of elder abuse were physical or emotional intimidation, financial abuse such as bank skimming, and transfer of assets.
“This campaign makes it absolutely clear there is never an excuse for elder abuse, by highlighting the types of excuses perpetrators commonly use and what actions the community can take to prevent it,” Mrs O’Rourke said.
“It was developed after a key recommendation from the landmark Not Now, Now Ever report highlighted the growing need for government to step up the fight against elder abuse.”
“Throughout June, this important campaign will be promoted in shopping centres, licensed venues and medical centres, on buses, and via digital and social media advertising – to ensure everyone sees the message.”
“Older people are valuable members of our communities, and our Government will not tolerate any form of elder abuse.”
Seniors services, non-government organisations, councils, libraries, hospitals and more will receive posters and help-cards to raise awareness of elder abuse among their clients and connect them to the range of supports and services across the state.
People who are concerned that an elderly person is being abused and in need of assistance can call the Elder Abuse helpline on 1300 651 192.
For more information about the campaign, visit www.qld.gov.au/notnownotever
Not-for-profit community groups across Murrumba have been given a boost in funding as they share in almost $13 million in the latest round of Gambling Community Benefit Fund grants.
Each year the Queensland Government reinvested millions of dollars received from gaming revenue directly back to local communities.
Out of the 595 successful recipients across Queensland in this latest round of funding, 3 community groups were successful in receiving grants from the Murrumba Electorate which totalled $76,162.47. Recipients include North Lakes Jr Australian Football Club who received $34.600 for upgrading of fields and to purchase new equipment while the Mango Hill Community Centre received $24,109 for facilities upgrades.
Local community groups are the lifeline of most communities and the work they do with often little funding is extraordinary. Funding like this helps keep community groups afloat and strengthens the commitment of volunteers who run these groups.
The Gambling Community Benefit Fund is the single state-wide government funding program which distributes one-off grants of up to $35,000 (inclusive of GST) from gambling taxes to not-for-profit community groups on a quarterly basis.
A full list of grant recipients from this round and information on how to apply for upcoming rounds is available at www.justice.qld.gov.au/grants.
The next round of funding closes midnight, 31 May 2016. To learn more about whether or not your organisation is eligible to apply for a grant visit http://www.justice.qld.gov.au/grants.
Today I am encouraging local schools and students to take part in the Premier’s Reading Challenge that gets underway next week.
We know how important reading is in learning and development for children and the Premier’s Challenge is a great way to get children hooked. I hope that all children will use this as an opportunity to read avidly and develop a love of books and reading. More than 150,000 students took part in the challenge last year around Queensland reading more than 1.95 million books.
This year we are hoping for even better, and I hope local students play a big role in that. The Premier’s Reading Challenge is open to students from state and non-state schools and runs from 16 May to 26 August. It is all about encouraging our students to develop a love of books for life.
The earlier we engage our children in reading the better start they will have to their education. Children in early childhood centres can participate by sharing group reading experiences.
Prep to Year 2 students will aim to read or experience 20 books, Years 3 to 4 students will aim to read 20 books, and Years 5 to 9 will aim to read 15 books, reflecting the longer and more challenging books read by this age group.
Queensland schools and early childhood centres can register for the challenge online: www.education.qld.gov.au/schools/readingchallenge/
Traffic congestion at Rothwell’s busiest intersection is set to ease with the Palaszczuk Government investing $22.6 million towards the intersection upgrade, to get works underway.
Main Roads and Road Safety Minister Mark Bailey, Member for Redcliffe Yvette D’Ath and Member for Murrumba Chris Whiting visited the site today to announce the additional injection of funds.
Mr Bailey said the Palaszczuk Government would commit additional funding toward the upgrade to fund the shortfall left by the Federal Government.
“Last weekend I was here onsite talking to a delegation of 18 locals who told me how much this upgraded is needed. On Monday I met with a further delegation, including the local Members for Murrumba and Redcliffe. Today, I’m pleased to announce we will invest $22.6 million, almost two thirds of the funding for this vital project,” Mr Bailey said.
“We have listened to the community and now we have a funded solution, which will cater for the more than 35,000 vehicles which use the intersection each day.
“After a great deal of uncertainly, and no progress during the term of the previous LNP government, the local community can now rest easy knowing the Palaszczuk Government is delivering this project, with shovels expected to be in the ground as soon as the end of this year.
“The Rothwell intersection upgrade will relieve traffic congestion by increasing capacity and efficiency for motorists, while also providing a safer intersection for all road users, including pedestrians and cyclists.”
“Installing traffic lights will provide the safest solution to address the increased traffic expected once the additional Rothwell Station access at Gynther Road opens to the public,” he said.
“Currently, there are no provisions for cyclists and pedestrians crossing the roundabout and this upgrade will improve active transport options, which are also expected to increase when the rail opens.”
Member for Redcliffe Yvette D’Ath said the upgrade has been a long time coming.
“In 2014 the Abbott Government removed $159 million in savings from the Moreton Bay Rail Link project budget, despite previously agreeing to use some of that money for the Rothwell roundabout – and the Newman Government did nothing about it ” Ms D’Ath said.
The Palaszczuk Government has put funding on the table, and has been relentless in seeking Federal Government agreement to recommit funding for the upgrade.
We were rewarded for our efforts in December last year with the Federal Government finally committing to fund up to $11.7 million for the upgrade, but that still left a shortfall.
“A commitment by the Palaszczuk Government to fund this shortfall makes us by far the largest contributor to the project, and means we can get construction underway as soon as possible.
The upgrade is currently in the detailed design phase and nearing finalisation after consultation with the community earlier this month. Construction is expected to start by late 2016 and will take about 12 months to complete.”
Member for Murrumba Chris Whiting said the Moreton Bay Rail Link’s nearby location meant traffic volumes would increase as commuters navigated the intersection to access the new Rothwell station.
“This upgrade will ensure the network can cope with increasing volumes and the integrated road and rail infrastructure will provide the best and safest outcomes for the community,” Mr Whiting said.
“I’ve contacted over 15,000 residents about the Rothwell Roundabout upgrade, I’m pleased to be able to tell them today that the Palaszczuk Government is getting on with the job and delivering for our community.”
The $37.5 million upgrade to the Anzac Avenue and Deception Bay Road intersection is jointly funded by the Australian and Queensland governments and Morten Bay Regional Council.
The Queensland Government is investing $22.6. The Australian Government is contributing up to $11.7 and Morten Bay Regional Council is contributing $3.2 million.
A new partnership struck between the Palaszczuk Government and Telstra will see Deception Bay State School students connecting to the Internet faster than ever before.
The $137 million partnership with Telstra would connect more than 450 Queensland state schools to the high speed fibre optic cable network, bringing the total number of connected state schools to more than 1000.
I’m excited by the potential of this partnership to open up new possibilities for students at Deception Bay State School.
The Internet is such a valuable tool for students as we prepare them for jobs in the digital economy, especially through STEM subjects including coding and robotics. That means we need to ensure schools can teach our students in classrooms that are well-connected and make use of interactive learning. Having fibre optic technology to link students to the rest of the world means the possibilities are endless. We are bringing the world to students in Queensland classrooms so they can access the learning technologies and skills they need for the jobs of the future.
The broadband upgrade to schools around the state began at the end of Semester 2 last year and would be completed by the end of 2017 and produce significantly faster Internet speeds in schools.
As schools are connected they will see connection speeds of up to three times those currently in place.
This is another example of the Palaszczuk Government working with business to get the best results for Queensland.